Upper body exercises
Upper body muscles make it easier for you to pull, push and lift things. Your workouts should therefore include exercises that target your upper body including your arms, shoulders, pecs, back, and also your abdominals (see tips # 3). In this article, I’ll walk you through my favorite upper body exercises and give you 3 key tips for maximizing the training of these muscles.
THE BENEFITS OF BODYBUILDING
Let us first remember that weight training is essential for improving strength and endurance, densifying bones, improving the performance of daily activities, and reducing symptoms of several chronic conditions including arthritis, back pain, pain. depression and diabetes. Since muscle mass tends to decrease with age, it is important to build strength training into our weekly training schedule to ensure that it is maintained.
3 SAFETY AND EFFICIENCY TIPS:
- Good Technique: Your goal when starting a new program is to focus on how well each exercise is performed. Then, when you are comfortable with the movements, you can increase the loads and the number of sets. Your personal trainer will be able to guide you!
- A good warm-up: Regardless of the workout, exercise the muscles and joints that will be involved in your workout in order to prepare your body for the more intense workout that is to come. For the upper body, you can do shoulder rotations, large circles with the arms, and torso twists.
- A Good Core Strength: Tighten your core muscles before you start and during each exercise. Engaging the core muscles will help protect your lower back.
HERE ARE MY TOP 5 WORKOUTS TARGETING THE UPPER BODY MUSCLES!
- Arnold Press with free weights (shoulders and biceps)
- Arm pull-up, extended legs with TRX (upper back)
- Bench press with free weights (chest, triceps, and shoulders)
- Standing press + forearm extension with free weight (shoulders and triceps)
- Front elevation with kettlebell (shoulders)
For a complete program that is specific to YOUR needs and aligned with YOUR goals, consult a qualified personal trainer.