Nutrition value of bananas
The nutritional value of bananas is amazing. The banana is an exotic fruit that is cultivated in almost all tropical regions. It is particularly appreciated by all babies, children, athletes, adults. banana has long occupied a place of choice in all homes. It is a perfect fruit to regain strength after an effort or to effectively cut hunger between meals. Bananas are found in several varieties with different sizes and colors of peel, but all have white and sweet flesh, more or less floury. A funny anecdote: Contrary to popular belief, bananas do not grow in a palm tree, but on the top of a giant planet, which belongs to the same family as grass. Season: Bananas are found all year round, but they are tastiest from October to February, that is, during the harvest period in tropical regions.
• Bananas are very fragile and must be transported with care. They are always picked green and ripen slowly after picking, at room temperature.
• Depending on whether you want to eat them right away or later, you can choose green, pale or dark yellow bananas, and sometimes even speckled with small black-brown dots. The more yellow the bananas, the riper and sweeter they will be.
• Avoid eating green bananas: they are indigestible and cause stomach aches in some people.
• Finally, never choose bananas that have light brown spots, as this is a sign that the fruits have been frozen during transport: they will no longer ripen (not to be confused with small dark brown spots, which them, are a normal sign of ripening).
• Keep bananas at room temperature until they reach your preferred degree of ripeness. Some people prefer them barely ripe and others like them very soft and sweet.
• Bananas can ripen faster by placing them in a paper bag.
• In any case, it is better to avoid keeping them in the refrigerator. A temperature below 12 ˚ Celsius stops the ripening process and turns their skin black.
• However, in order not to have to throw away the slightly overripe bananas, it is possible to place them as is (with the peel) in the freezer, in an airtight plastic bag. It is then used for all cooked preparations.
Culinary tips for banana
Because they are convenient and easy to take anywhere, bananas are most often eaten raw, as a snack, dessert, or lunch. However, they can also complement a large number of recipes. For example, we will eat them:
- In fresh fruit salads.
- Cut into slices in yogurt and breakfast cereals.
- In smoothies and milkshakes. Quick idea: a banana, 1 cup of milk, and 1 tbsp. blender peanut butter makes the perfect energy drink for lunch or before a workout.
- Crushed, in muffins, cakes, sweetbreads, crepe machines, clafoutis, crumbles, etc.
- Dipped in batter and served as donuts.
- For babies: simply mashed with a fork. This is a quick and ideal option when there is no time to make a cooked fruit compote.
- In mousses, flans, sorbets and homemade ice creams. Tip: freeze pieces of bananas drizzled with lemon juice. Then, make a thick puree and sweeten to taste (optional). Put back in the freezer for 1 or 2 hours and you will get a delicious cream with exactly the same texture as ice cream.
- Sautéed in butter with a little sugar, then de-glazed with rum and flavored with pure vanilla essence and cinnamon. It is a delight to accompany pancakes, French toast, or as a garnish for cream ice cream and some cakes.
- Baked (15 min at 400 ° C.) In their own skin, pierced beforehand with a fork, then served with vanilla cream or a red fruit coulis.
Bananas contain 90 calories per 100 g (or 130 to 150 calories for a fruit, depending on its size). They contain almost no fat and little protein. On the other hand, they are mainly composed of carbohydrates, which makes them the perfect food to consume in case of effort or to control your hunger in the medium term.
Bananas are also a significant source of:
- Minerals: manganese, copper, magnesium, potassium
Finally, some studies have estimated that bananas could play a role in the prevention of certain diseases such as cancer, type 2 diabetes, chronic diarrhea, stomach ulcers, and certain cardiovascular diseases.
Nutrition value of bananas, DietFYI